The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is calling for applications for the SARAO Postgraduate Scholarship in the 2022 academic year.
These scholarships are available for postgraduate study in South Africa.
More about NFR SARAO postgraduate scholarship
The scholarship is funded by the National Research Foundation (NRF) to study at the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
Therefore, applicants should be planning to study at Pretoria in the 2022 academic year.
See also: Fully funded engineering PhD fellowships in South Africa 2021
What’s the value of this award?
NRF SARAO postgraduate scholarship for the 2022 academic year covers the following costs:
|II. International Student Fee||NA||Paid in full||Paid in full|
|III. Travel Grant||NA||R29,000||R36,000|
|IV. Equipment Grant||NA||R27,000||R40,000|
|V. Laptop Grant||R10,000||NA||NA|
|VI. Home Travel Grant||NA||Cost of one return ticket, with one change permitted, per year||Cost of one return ticket, with one change permitted, per year|
|VII. Repatriation Fee||NA||Paid in full, if required||Paid in full, if required|
|VIII. Emergency Medical Insurance||NA||Paid in full||Paid in full|
|IX. Assistive Technology Device||R20,000||R20,000||R20,000|
NOTE for further explanation of the scholarship value:
1. The duration of NRF SARAO postgraduate scholarship is as follows for each program:
a. Honours: One (1) year.
However, SARAO will provide two years funding to students who register for the NASSP Extended Honours Course.
b. Masters: Two (2) years.
c. Doctoral: Three (3) years.
2. SARAO will pay the international student fee due to the university for students from other countries outside South Africa.
3. Travel grants are awarded annually, for the duration of the scholarship.
4. The equipment grant is a total amount available for the full duration of the scholarship (i.e. this is not an annual
5. Laptop grants are available to Honours students.
6. SARAO will organise and pay for one return ticket, per year, for students from other countries outside South Africa.
7. SARAO will pay the repatriation fee, if required, for students from Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia and Zambia.
8. SARAO will pay the cost of emergency medical insurance for students from Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar,
Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia and Zambia.
9. Students living with a disability may apply for up to R20 000. This is the maximum amount allowed during the tenure of the scholarship.
Which programs are covered on this award?
Masters and doctoral programs relevant to the scientific and technical goals of the scholarship providers.
Which nationalities are eligible?
The scholarship is open to citizens and permanent residents of:
- South Africa
- Namibia and
See also: Full scholarships in Estonia for postgraduate study 2022 | how to apply
Who can apply?
To be eligible for NFR SARAO postgraduate scholarship in South Africa, you should meet the following eligibility criteria:
1. Age requirement:
You must not be more than 30 years old for Master’s study; not be more than 32 years old for doctoral program.
2. Must be a citizen or permanent resident of one of the eligible countries above.
See also: All saints postgraduate scholarship in UK 2021 | how to apply
How to apply for the scholarship
To apply, please use the NRF SARAO scholarship application link.
Meanwhile, you will need to attach the following documents as a single PDF (in the attachment section of the application form) to complete the scholarship application.
a. All university academic results; that is from the start of your degree until now, and where relevant for all
other degrees completed to date.
b. A copy of the motivation/biography that you provided in your application form.
c. Copy of your South Africa Identity Document for SA citizens and permanent residents, or, a copy of your
Passport for non-South Africans.
d. Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
What happens once I apply?
After this application, complete applications are sent to the host institution for verification before they are forwarded to the NRF SARAO for further processing.
When is application closing?
The deadline to apply for 2022 NRF SARAO postgraduate scholarship is 6th August, 2021 at the latest. Please refer to their website for more information.
STAY UP TO DATE
Get the latest scholarship updates and announcements by providing your email.
Postgraduate scholarships for 2021 entry:
Maxwell is a Dietitian with passion for showing people hope. With nearly a decade experience helping people make key decisions on education and career, you can find him almost everywhere on this site. From answering admission and scholarship questions to creating tutorials and helping others live their best lives though nutrition. Connect with me on Twitter.