Application is now open for the 2022 Vanier Canada Graduate scholarships for international students.
This is one of the most prestigious awards to study for a graduate degree in Canada. These scholarships are provided by the government of Canada and are awarded every year.
How much is this scholarship worth?
Vanier Canada graduate scholarship recipient receive $50,000 per year for three years of doctoral studies.
How many: Up to 166 scholarships are awarded every year.
Which programs does this scholarship cover?
Below are the areas of research for this scholarship.
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and humanities
Which Nationalities are eligible?
Vanier Canada Graduate scholarship is open to citizens and residents of all countries.
Who can apply?
To become eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
1. be nominated by only one Canadian institution participating in the Vanier Canada Graduate scholarship program.
2. be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component).
3. intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution.
4. have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent.
5. must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake a doctoral program.
6. have completed no more than 20 months of full-time study in your doctoral program as of May 1, 2022.
7. have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program (i.e. joint graduate research program, fast-track, accelerated), by May 1, 2022 if:
a. enrolled in a joint graduate research program, e.g., MD/PhD, MA/PhD, DVM/PhD.
Applicants in this category have access to the 32-month window whether or not they were previously enrolled in a Master’s program:
The months of study are calculated starting from the date on which an applicant is officially registered in the joint program (including the Master’s portion of the program).
b. accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s to a PhD (not previously enrolled in a Master’s program);
The months of study completed are calculated from the doctoral enrolment date.
c. accelerated (Fast-track) from a Master’s degree into a Doctoral program without obtaining the Master’s degree.
The months of study completed are calculated from the original Master’s enrolment date.
How to apply for the scholarship
To receive this scholarship, you must be nominated by the Canadian school you intend to study. They are the ones that recommend candidates for this scholarship.
What this mean is that you cannot apply directly for this scholarship.
Check the 2022 Vanier Canada Scholarship page for more information on applying.
When is the deadline?
Application close by November 2 2o21.
STAY UP TO DATE
Got questions about these scholarships? Please leave a comment below.
Maxwell Tega has a passion for showing people hope. He has nearly a decade experience helping people make key decisions on education and career. You can find him almost everywhere on this site, from answering admission and scholarship questions to creating tutorials. Connect with me on Facebook and Twitter.